Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Nonfiction Reading Response

   In the article "Muslim women uncover myths about the hijab" Rowaida Abdelaziz, explains what the hijab means to her. She doesn't care about the stares she gets, and the whispers behind her back. She love wearing the cloth that covers her hair. And shows the world that she is a Muslim and proud. She wants you to understand that she doesn't wear the hijab, because she was forced to wear it. It was all her own choice.
   "It represents beauty to me," says Abdelaziz,
"My mom says a girl is like a jewel," Abdelaziz says. "When you have something precious, you usually hide it. You want to make sure you keep it safe until that treasure is ready to be found." The hijab is a veil that Muslim women wear around the whole world. It basically is a cloth over a women's hair. Some women says that when they wear the hijab, it seems like they are locked in a cage. But other women says that it leads them to personal freedom. Teenagers who wear the hijab also have pressure on them because, they wonder how they are going to fit in when they stand out the most.
  As you know, I wear the hijab myself. I know how all these girls feel wearing it and not feeling as if they don't fit in. When i first started wearing the hijab, two years ago. It was very hard for me. The first year I wasn't even wearing it correctly because I wore it one day and took it off the other. But then, I gained the confidence of wearing it and slowly I became who I am today.  When I go outside the hijab goes with me. It became a part of me now, I am attached to it and I will hopefully never let it go. But as Abdelaziz said, it is some type of beauty to me and I love wearing it. I don't care what other people care about me. I am wearing it to practice my faith. And no one can take it away from me :)

Website:  http://articles.cnn.com/2009-08-12/us/generation.islam.hijab_1_hijab-muslim-women-muslim-americans?_s=PM:US

No comments:

Post a Comment