Thursday, November 8, 2012

Hurricane Sandy Response

   Diane Zoller Ciatto, the author of "Hurricane Sandy and nor'easter", wants the reader to know that after the storm Sandy, the U.S Northeast with floods, fire and ice. 1.4 million homes and businesses face near freezing temperatures without electricity and heat. Drivers are in line desperate to receive their ration of fuel before the service stations or their cars run out of gas. At least 113 were killed when the storm came in New Jersey cutting a wide swath that left about 8 million, mostly in New Jersey and New York, without power. People are suffering from the hurricane and have no where to go.
   According to Ciatto, "New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced on Sunday that an estimated 30,000 to 40,000 people in New York City were in need of shelter." This makes me feel bad for all those people out there without any electricity or even a house to be safe in. And to make matters worse, there is a strong "Nor'easter" by Wednesday that will bring below freezing temperatures, wind and heavy rain fall. Also in New Jersey 143,000 voters voted by email. People couldn't vote by the machines because, there was barley any electricity! The author is telling the readers how people are suffering and wanting them to feel guilty; so they can do something about the people who are suffering from the damage of the hurricane.
   After reading this article, I have realized that I have a house that I am sleeping in; and I also have electricity. While people in New Jersey and Lower Manhattan have no electricity at all and no shelter. And on top of all that, winter is settling in. So people who don't have electricity are also going to suffer from the cold. I hope that people who have lost their homes will stay save somewhere and get electricity back. We all are one big family in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment