I am reading the poetry book named "Where the Sidewalk Ends" by, Shel Silverstein. The book is poems made by him. All of the poems are so different from each other. Some serious others funny. His poems are so unique and each and every one of them have a message. Even though many of them are funny, in the end it gives a message to the readers. I love Silverstein's books and poems.
The poem "Smart" goes like this:
My dad gave me one dollar bill
Cause I'm his smartest son,
And I swapped it for two shiny quarters
Cause two is more than one!
And then I took the quarters
And traded them to Lou
For three dimes I guess he don't know T
That three is more than two!
Just then, along came old blind Bates
And just 'cause he can't see
He gave me four nickles for my three dimes,
And four is more than three!
And I took the nickels to Hiram Coombs
Down at the seed-feed store,
And the fool gave me five pennies for them,
And five is more than four!
And then I went and showed my dad,
And he got red in the cheeks
And closed his eyes and shook his head--
Too proud of me to speak!
As you can see, the poem is for small children. This text contains money because the son traded the dollar for five pennies in the end of the poem. This poem shows that the son is smart, but he didnt really know what the money was worth. But it also shows that the son can count. The message in this poem is the journey of a little boy trading a dollar bill and counting the coins he got from other people.
In conclusion, I can relate to this poem because when I was small I did the same exact thing! I showed it to my mom and she just laughed. But I learned to count and my mom explained to me and I learned what a dollar bill was actually worth. But what I am trying to say is that I learned to count!
No comments:
Post a Comment